Today we decided to drive down to Alyeska Ski Resort and ride the tram up to the top of the mountain.
After we parked the car, I took this picture of Clark pointing up to the roundhouse on the top of the mountain where we were going to go.
Before our assent:
This is a picture from the top of another tram making its way up the mountain.
Once at the top we hiked around enjoying the view and the tundra. The roundhouse is right at tree level so these trees were about the last ones.
My dad spotted a moose on the far mountain so here you see the kids checking it out with the binoculars.
Behind us, on the far mountain you can see a glacier. I was nervous because right to the left of where we were sitting was a substantial drop-off.
Grandma and Clark hiked up to the top-top and took some more pictures.
In this picture you can see back down to Turnagain Arm and see how high up we were.
Emily and Blake had brought their huskies, Buddy and Husk, with them. They had bought them the night before and I was so relieved that we finally found that one souvenir and we could stop looking.
Then we had lunch in the roundhouse.
Here is a view looking back down to the hotel as we descended.
Okay, so now for the treasure. As we were walking back to the car I spotted ripe huckleberries!
I know this doesn't sound like much to you all but to me - treasure. I had picked these every year in Seldovia but they usually don't get ripe until mid August. I suppose with the extra sunshine this summer they ripened early in this spot. I told my parents to head back to Anchorage without us - the kids were having way too much fun collecting these little blue treasures:
At first the kids were happy to fill this styrofoam cup:
But soon they needed more containers. It was awesome. Clark was our leader, "Everybody split up and call out if you find a good bush and we'll all come and help pick them." Eventually I had to drag them home about 2 hours later.
Upon returning home in the other car, we made jam. Here Clark and Emily are cleaning the berries:
1 comment:
Every day sounded like a majorly good time. I hope it was a fun as it looks. Thanks for spending so much time to make great blog posts for the rest of us so that we can all wish we were there. ~Sarah
Post a Comment