Are you starting to get the picture of my parents? Emily told me the other morning, "Grandma is an active Grandma."
Don't think we were too amazing though, it was mostly downhill and we took several breaks. Emily found a four-leaf clover on one break.
The trail follows the coast and offers lots of views of Cook Inlet. We passed through Earthquake Park which has some information about the huge earthquake that occurred here in 1964.
Just when the kids (and me, I admit it) thought there was no way they could go any further, we made it to Lynn Ary Park. This was the same park that I would walk to from my house when I was a young child. Here Blake and Emily found a little fort in the woods by the park:
In the afternoon my parents had to go to the temple so I took the kids to Alaska Wild Berry Products which has the largest souvenir store in Alaska and the largest chocolate waterfall in the world:
This company used to be much smaller and was based in Homer. I and my siblings would sell the store our huckleberries that we'd pick in Seldovia. It was a big money-maker for us when we were teenagers.
They also have a place to pet and feed reindeer/caribou. The velvet on their antlers was SO soft:

Then we watched a movie, followed by diner at the famous Sourdough Mining Company. It is built like the Independence Mine up in the interior of Alaska and the kids loved the atmosphere.

After dinner we headed across the lot to the tent theater to watch a show by Dusty Sourdough, a storyteller and singer.


1 comment:
This is wonderful! What a great time you are having with your family!!! Alaska is so beautiful and I would love to go back there and be able to do all the things I could not do while on my mission. I love and miss Alaska. I read everything new on you blog and I was sorry to hear of Blake's fall. Jake also got a concussion about 3 weeks ago and fractured his skull. He lost his sense of taste and smell and it has not returned yet. Hopefully it does. I miss you and am so glad you are having a good time this summer.
Love,
Mikala
Post a Comment