
Jeff tried plenty but nothing was biting. We could see chum salmon in the hole but they were not interested. They didn't look too great though, past their prime. You know what I realized today - I had never before seen Jeff fly fish.

I like this photo of Clark fishing. It shows the beauty of the spot:

Remember how I said that fishing the creek at the head of the bay is all about timing? This illustrates my point exactly. We had anchored the boat in the water and then tied it to a large rock up the beach. But not up the beach far enough. When we returned the boat was still anchored and tied to the rock, but the rock was now 5 feet under water. We had misjudged how high the tide would get. Lauren and her chest waders saved the day:

Tonight for dinner we had octopus and our one Trout and.... Bread! Have you ever heard of anyone cooking bread in a grill? The cabin has no electricity so therefore has no oven. But my mother - the ultimate queen of outdoor cooking - has discovered a way to cook bread (perfectly without burning) in a grill by lighting the grill only on one side and keeping the lid closed. It tasted amazing!
After dinner I took a few videos so you can see the area a bit better:
I took Katie to my very favorite place at the cabin: the swing. Back behind the cabin, right next to the cliffs, my dad put up a swing about 20 years ago. It is in a huge tree so you can swing really high on it. It is completely surrounded by big trees and you feel like you are in a secret bubble. I love it there. Katie also enjoyed it:
Later (at 9pm! Notice how light it still is - Alaska summers rock!) Grandpa taught Clark how to shoot a .22 for target practice. He and Clark had placed large clam shells on the tree stumps out behind the cabin and then Clark practiced shooting them:

Another beautiful day. This weather has been amazing. I never remember a time when it has been so sunny for so long in Alaska. My mom said that the week they built the cabin, 30 years ago, was like this. That puts it in perspective.



1 comment:
Ben and I made a new trail back to the swing. How was our trail? Still recognizable I hope? ~sarah
Post a Comment