Friday, March 27, 2009

Surgery Update

Dear Loved Ones,

Today marks four weeks since my surgery.  I am sorry it has taken me so long to get to the point where I can sit down and write about it.  

The surgery did not go well.  The surgeon accidently cut open my bladder - which resulted in a few unfortunate complications.  First of all he was not able to do any of the bladder repair work which was the most important reason behind the surgery.  Secondly, I had to have a Foley catheter in-place for two full weeks after the surgery.  Thirdly, it has left me with much worse problems then I had before the surgery.  I know this all sounds rather depressing but I have come a long way emotionally since the first few days.  

I will probably have to undergo a further surgery but not for at least 6 months from the initial surgery date.  So for now, I cope with my current situation.  

It really could be worse.  I am grateful that he discovered the mistake while he was still in the operating room.  Jeff's family told me about one of his Aunts that almost died because the surgeon didn't figure out that he had cut open her bladder until weeks later.  I have not had any anger about it, which surprises some people.  The surgeon felt just sick about it afterwards and it is the first significant bladder injury that he has done in his whole career.  These things happen, I know that.  

On a happier note, I do feel strongly that God protected me during this ordeal.  During the surgery the surgeon found some precancerous areas that he was able to remove.  That alone is a great blessing.  The story behind him finding the cells is really a miracle.  It would not have happened if it hadn't been for a crazy progression of many little events.   I know God was watching over me.  

So, I am on the mend and mostly back to my normal life.  You will find below (FINALLY) some long overdue posts from before my surgery.  

Thank you all for your prayers and concern.  I know I was put on the temple prayer roll many times over.  Our family would be lost without each of you.  

Lots of Love, Heather

3 comments:

The Egg-heads said...

Heather, great job on the updates! Especially after your extensive surgery/recovery. I think I would have said "forget about the blog, I'm in pain..." but not Heather-you are amazing! The trip to St. George looked like a lot of fun (do your kids ever stop smiling?! Way cute!) And I loved the "sunbeam" video (wow, she is growing so big!) I miss you, let's get together soon so I can give you a great big hug (but not too tight, in case I squeeze the pee out of you.) Love you so much!

Hawk Highlights said...

Thanks for all the updates - I loved the trip to Zion's photos and Emily in her matching dress. I am very sorry about all the physical trials you have had recently. I admire your patience and positive attitude. Keep it up. The kids are darling - thanks for keeping us updated - Love, Roz

dbsbamj said...

Heather-I am glad you are on the mend and so admire your great attitude. Your kids look great and you definitely win the fun mom award for all the cool trips. We miss you here in the post-International Ward world :(
XOXO