Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Big Trip Day 2: Big Bison, Big Geyser, Big Waterfall


This morning we entered Yellowstone and were shortly greeted by it's most famous resident: a bison. I took this picture from my car window - I swear.




I wanted the kids to get the flavor of Yellowstone right off, so we headed straight to Old Faithful. But along our way we saw Foutain Paint Pot and had to stop for a peak:


Then, we went to Old Faithful:



After lunch we drove to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone to see the Lower Falls which drop an awesome 380 ft. First we looked down on it from the top of the canyon, where the road was:



As we stood there I saw people way down right next to where the waterfall went over the edge.
I didn't take this picture, I just found it on the Internet. But it gives a good overview of what we saw from up there. The people I saw were right down, directly to the right of where the falls start. I wanted to go down there so I convinced Jeff and the kids to make the hike with me.



The trail descended 600 ft in 3/8 mile - it was very steep - but the view was well worth it. I couldn't get a very good photo of what it looked like down there right next to the waterfall.




That was the end of our day - a great introduction to Yellowstone.

No comments: