Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Harvest

Summer in Utah means harvesting.  

My friend told me that her mother's apricot tree needed picking and I was there bright and early!  I got a total of 21 quarts of canned apricots and several jars of jam.  I was even able to salvage enough of the half-bird-eaten apricots to freeze so that they can be used later for teaching jam-making in Enrichment.



It has been a long while since I have posted about my garden.  It has been such a learning experience and we've eating lots of stuff from it.  In my mind I'm making tons of plans for next year: more cherry tomatoes, more corn, less lettuce, no beans, more pumpkins.....

Here are a few pretty shots of some of our harvest:




It still just amazes me that anything actually grew.  I know that sounds strange, but every time I look at my corn stalks I am just floored that I put a little seed into the ground and now.... corn on the cob.  I guess that's the Alaskan girl in me - I just haven't seen this much.

One day Blake wanted to have a popsicle after breakfast and I told him he had to eat some fruit first.  He didn't like anything I had on hand and so he decided to go out into the garden and pick some carrots.  He brought them in and I washed them off and cut them up and put them in a little bowl.  A little later I came out to find this adorable scene:



Isn't that awesome.  Sitting on the trampoline in the morning sun, eating carrots from the garden.  Life is beautiful.



This week we start on Mary's pears:


1 comment:

Ben or Sarah said...

Wow, you have a great location for the garden. Not such great gardens here. Not sunny for long enough. Nice work Heathe