Sunday, October 21, 2007

6 little campers sleeping in a tent....

Over the weekend we went to a campground, called Drieboomkensberg, between Antwerp, Belgium and the Holland-Belgium border. It was a campout for the Cub Scout pack that Clark belongs to at the international school.

Remember back a few posts when I told you it was a lot of work going to the beach with four kids? Well now I must say, that the beach doesn't compare AT ALL to taking four kids on an Cub Scout campout! I have a whole new respect for my parents taking us camping so much. I'm not sure whose job is harder. Jeff's - who has to get all the gear ready and set up - or mine - I get the food and clothes ready and make sure everyone is fed, warm, and happy.

Okay, I admit it, Jeff's job is harder. Especially since he is the Quartermaster for our Cub Scout pack. This meant that he had to take Friday off from work and take all the gear up to the campground (about 1 hour away from here) and set it all up. He took Clark with him (no school for Clark!) and they made a day of it. I and the other kids came up around 4pm.


It was SUPER cold. During the day it was about 45 degrees and at night I think it got down to almost freezing. Katie stayed in her snowsuit the entire time. Jeff slept in one tent with the older kids and I slept in another with Katie. Here is a picture of Jeff helping with breakfast on Saturday morning:


Blake was quick to find the campfire that someone started first thing in the morning:


Later in the day the pack held a Rain Gutter Regatta (Oh yeah, Jeff had to fix the raingutters and bring those up the campground and set those up too). Each of the kids built a boat. Here is Emily working on hers:


And here is the Cub Scout working on his:



When they were done the kids took them over to the raingutters to watch them float and race.



Emily had to test her boat, the Miss America:

Here is Blake trying his boat:


Later we all had lunch. It looks warm in these pictures but it was really cold. The only break was when we sat directly in the sunshine.


Here is Blake trying to figure out his new chair:


And here is Emily being cute:


In the afternoon there was a tug-of-war. First Clark did it with his Bear den. Then Mama did it with the other mothers. Unfortunately our camera had a problem and we lost those pictures! Then Dad participated with the other fathers. That's him in the red and black coat, with the baseball hat on:


Lastly, Blake and Emily participated in the "sibling" contest:


It really was a fun campout. The pack had it very well organized and the kids had a blast. Everyone thought we were crazy to have Katie out there, but I think she was fine. She probably stayed warmer then the rest of us. Emily and one other girl, were the only girls there. All the other sisters stayed home. So, we felt pretty triumphant that we brought the whole family, and honestly enjoyed ourselves.

No comments: